Monday, March 29, 2010

Sushi Masu

I used to live walking distance from Sushi Masu, so I used to frequent this place quite often. I've only gotten omakase here and it is always such a great deal. The omakase is usually around $45-55 depending on what you get, but the cuts are so generous. The omakase usually comes with 10 pieces and I, a self-proclaimed sushi lover, will get full off these 10 pieces.

toro
I think about 90% of the time I've eaten here, I was always given toro first and this time was no different. The toro was so fatty and delicious. Honestly, I don't think I even chewed!

hamachi
Next up was the hamachi. Hamachi used to be my favorite sushi when I was a child (yes, I said child), before my love affair with uni began. This was your standard fatty yellowtail.

seared red snapper
Here we have seared red snapper. I've only had seared salmon at Masu before, so this was a first for me. Searing the fish, gave it a more "fishy" taste but it was neither offensive nor forgettable. It gave the sushi nice texture, but I couldn't distinguish the "flavor" of the red snapper.

salmon
Apparently I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture of this before I ate it. As soon as I popped it into my mouth, I realized what I had done. It was too late! Also, it would have been rude and disgusting to take it back out to snap a photo. I'm a lady, what can I say... The salmon was really soft in texture and mild in the "salmon" flavor.

baby squid
I haven't had baby squid since my meal at Zo back in March 2009, so I was excited to see this. I've also never had baby squid at Masu so I was happy to see something new in their omakase. At Zo they give you the baby squid on its own, while at Masu it was in sushi form. I don't really know which I prefer, but I do know that I would definitely like to see this item more on the menu as it was delicious.

butterfly bream with sesame leaf and ginger
I really love sesame leaves... especially with raw fish. The size of the leaf was perfect for this cut and went well with the ginger topping.

amberjack/kanpachi
Less fattier than the hamachi I had before, I still enjoyed the wonderful oils I get from yellowtails.

beltfish with seseame leaf and ume
Ume is a pickled Japanese apricot usually eaten with rice. It is an acquired taste since it is pretty sour in flavor. When Chef Masu gave me this, I wasn't quite sure what the topping was, but once I ate it I immediately recognized that it was ume. The amount of ume emitted the perfect amount of sourness to compliment the mild beltfish.

uni
Ah, uni... my heart, my soul, my love. If you know me, you know that I am a true lover of uni. If you don't know me, well.. now you know. The uni was creamy and wonderful, as it should be.

unagi
The warm unagi had just the right amount of eel sauce, supplying the perfect amount of sweetness which was a nice balance to the vinegar in the rice.

 negitoro maki
The omakase ended with a negitoro maki, which is basically a toro roll with green onions/leeks/scallions and one of my favorites. The ratio of the toro and the rice was great and the crispy nori provided great texture. But, my favorite part has to be the green onions because its mild onion flavor goes so well with the lusciousness of the toro.

Masu-san is a charming and jovial chef who engages with the customers. It is no wonder why there are a lot of loyal locals stay true to this neighborhood gem. Don't be surprised if you find me here during the week getting my sushi fix.


Sushi Masu
1911 Westwood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310) 446-4368

Sushi Masu on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Ravenous Couple said...

that baby squid looks awesome! see you at Ludo's!

nelehelen said...

the baby squid WAS awesome! :) can't wait to meet you two tonight!

May Sakai said...

Hi,
Nice pic and blog. e are a start-up Pasadena based social media/directory site, called eMeetYou.com/sushi-bento (http://emeetyou.com/sushi-bento) designed for those who are interested in Japanese food.
Upon releasing this new site, we would like to post your blog links at our 'Directory' site as follows

http://emeetyou.com/sushi-bento/Sushi-Authentic/Sushi-Masu-71/View-details

I hope this is ok with you.
Thanks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails