Thursday, April 29, 2010

Brunch for 2 @ Huckleberry: Bring Your Standing Shoes!

Breakfast is J's favorite meal of the day, but we rarely every wake up for it. So, the one Saturday we woke up before 10 AM, I decided we needed to go somewhere delicious for brunch. I've heard great things about Huckleberry, so I decided to try it out.

I was expecting a line outside the front door and when I saw what appeared to be a no-line, no-wait situation I was confused. But, as soon as we stepped inside, we realized the line was going out the back! Tricky, tricky... Since they don't take reservations and seats are a first-come, first-serve basis, the wait staff at Huckleberry don't let you wait for a table while the other person in your party stands in line to order. Instead, your whole party must stand in line and they scope out the seats for you. I must admit that they do a pretty good job at turning these tables around.

chocolate croissant

J chose this chocolate croissant and I have to say, it was a good pick. The croissant was light and flaky, not dense at all. The chocolate was sweet, but not overpowering. This would've been great with a cafe latte.

bacon biscuit

I always heard positive reviews about the bacon biscuit and it did not disappoint. When I took a bite of this, I immediately said, "MONEY!" hahaha... This bacon biscuit was MONEY! It was the perfect amount of sweet and salty. The caramelization on top gave it great contrast in texture to the soft, doughy-ness of the biscuit inside.

fried egg sandwich, sunny side up eggs, niman ranch bacon, gruyere, arugula and aioli on country bread

This was J's choice and it was your standard fried egg sandwich. He loves bacon, runny eggs and arugula, so this was the perfect dish for him. Although he thought the bread was too hard, he still enjoyed this very much. I had a bite and thought it was good, but nothing spectacular.


green eggs and ham, La Quercia prosciutto, pesto & arugula on English muffin

I picked the green eggs and ham, which comes with pesto and prosciutto. The prosciutto was a bit dry and tough to eat. The runny eggs and pesto masked the dryness of the prosciutto, but it didn't mask the tough texture of the english muffin. The muffin became too hard for me to cut with my knife and fork! Despite this minor setback, I thought the flavors were good especially with the arugula that cut the heaviness of the dish.

I think some items are a bit over-priced, but overall it was a good meal, the pastries being the highlights. Next time I go, I will definitely be stocking up on these babies. The line and wait to order wasn't that bad, but only if you had your full night's rest. I wouldn't suggest this place for those of you who have been out partying all night. I wouldn't want to be standing in line to order while hungover and smelling like my last drink. But, hey, whenever I'm hungover I always go eat some pho... but, that's another review in the waiting!

Huckleberry on Urbanspoon

Huckleberry Cafe in Los Angeles on Fooddigger

Huckleberry
1014 Wilshire Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90401
(310) 451-2311
www.huckleberrycafe.com


1 comment:

bagnatic said...

the pastries look divine...and that bacon biscuit. man! sounds like an awesome brunch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails